Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Every March I think that I should have been a dentist. Not that being a dentist interests me much....at all. I just end up giving so much of John's hard earned money to them and I wish that I could feel better about it by earning that kind of money myself! Oh well, toss some more money to the wind and watch it dissapear :)
I had an interesting experience at Mikaela's violin lesson today. There is another woman whose son has lessons at the same time as Mikaela. Today she had almost fainted just before we got there and was shaking and looking very unwell. She had phoned her husband to come pick them up and so I was holding her baby while she laid on the couch and tried to manage her other three little kids. The baby's diaper was soaking wet and he smelled really bad like puke. It was making my stomach turn and I was a little worried that whatever she had, her baby might have and might pass it on to me and harm my baby..... When her husband came he didn't bother to help her up or help with the kids at all, he just walked around looking at the instruments and than berated her for her being too sick to drive home. Of course, I don't understand the situation but I felt for that woman. She just had this overwhelmed, tired, beaten down look and obviously her husband wasn't much of a help. And it made me think of extraordinary people like Mother Theresa and countless others who would look at this woman and her children, maybe even her husband, with compassion and glory in helping them, putting their own health and certainly their own sensabilities on the line. I wonder how much they notice about the people that they are around, if they notice the smells, the appearance, the disease, or if they are desensitized? And yet their level of compassion is so great, they cannot be too desenitized. I've been in this situation before and the smells and the appearance of people did not bother me nearly as much as they did this time. I realized how safe a life we have lived since we moved to Edmonton, a far cry from Northern Saskatchewan, that is for sure. And maybe in my busyness I am starting to overlook those who are living like this.....

No comments:

Post a Comment